Monday, February 23, 2009

Sara's ICU experience!

Last week, I (Sara) was able to spend four days in the ICU. It was quite an experience, like none other! I can't wait to show you all pictures and tell the stories in person. But to touch on little bits of the experiences I had, here goes! I was able to be involved in a code blue situation, where I actually was able to do chest compressions. The code that I was involved here in India was vastly different from the ones of have experienced in the US...not better or worse...just different! I was able to insert an NG (nasogastric tube)...there was one experience that was good and one not so good. I was able to insert one successfully but then the next day on a different patient...it took an hour and half, two nurses, two nursing students and two doctors, some anti-anxiety medication and a scope...yikes! But all of these experiences confirms how much I love nursing...no matter what culture or country I am in...the care and compassion that nurses give is the same. I have learned so much about the culture of India through working in a hospital. In addition, I have learned so much about myself through this experience and more of what I want to do in the future. I will tell more of that later! I wanted to thank you all for the prayers and encouragement...they have been appreciated!
Sara

1 comment:

  1. I love you and I'm praying for you guys! It's so neat to see your dreams finally coming true. God has given you a gift and a passion and I'm so proud of you for not giving up when things got hard. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete